Benefits of Membership
- A substantial discount on the registration fee for the BRISMES Annual Conference;
- Online access to the British Journal for Middle Eastern Studies with option to receive paper copies by post;
- Receipt of a monthly email newsletter with BRISMES news, research and publications from members, opportunities in Middle East Studies and upcoming MENA-related events in the UK and online;
- Receipt of the weekly EURAMES Info Service which provides announcements of jobs, grants, conferences and research projects related to the Middle East and North Africa;
- The opportunity to apply for the BRISMES Early Career Development Prize and BRISMES Conference Student Paper Prize;
- The opportunity to publicise your academic research, events and other opportunities online and in the BRISMES newsletter;
- The opportunity to attend and vote in the AGM;
- The opportunity to vote to elect (and be nominated as) members of BRISMES Council including the Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
Please note that the BRISMES membership year runs from 1 January - 31 December.
Membership subscriptions are due on 1 January each year. Members joining after this date will have their membership backdated to 1 January and will have the option to receive copies of the journal for that year.
Membership in this category is open to those professionally and/or personally concerned with the MENA region and international relations. Members vote to elect (and are eligible to become) the Society's Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. They also elect and are eligible to become members of the Council.
Subscription rates for 2023 are as follows:
Those earning £80,000 or more:
Those earning between £60,000 and £79,999:
Those earning between £50,000 and £59,999:
Those earning between £40,000 and £49,999:
Those earning between £30,000 and £39,999:
Those earning below £29,999:
Students and recent graduates**:
*Anyone over the current state pension age and no longer in full time employment is eligible to pay this rate.
** Upon graduation, for a period of two years, former student members may also benefit from this reduced rate.
***Anyone who has been unemployed for a period of more than THREE months may benefit from this reduced rate, until such time as they find gainful employment.
- The above rates are discounted by 20% for scholars in the Global South to account for the expense of making hard current payments;
- The above rates are discounted by 10% for members who pay by standing order;
- We also offer an opt-in extra to receive MideastWire which costs an additional £30 per year.
2. Institutional membership
Institutional membership is open to any organisation that is actively involved in Middle East Studies and relevant forms of public engagement and community education. It is for charities, campaigning organizations, associations, community groups and the like. This membership allows 2, 4, 6 or 8 named employees from your organisation to enjoy all the benefits of being a member of BRISMES, including reduced rates at our annual conference. Institutional membership is not available to university departments. The fee varies depending on the number of named employees, and the size and income of the organisation. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in purchasing an institutional membership.
3. School membership - FREE
School membership is open to any school offering GCSE, A levels or the equivalent in any Middle East language, Middle East Studies, Islamic Studies or related subjects. Each holder of school membership will be entitled to institutional on-line access to the British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, reduced rates at the BRISMES annual conference and access to other BRISMES events. They will not be eligible for voting rights. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Database of Expertise
The Database of Expertise in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies provides a publicly available list of MENA experts with their research and areas of expertise.Search Now