We are seeking statements of interest for serving as the Host for the annual BRISMES conference in June of 2023 or 2024. The BRISMES conference aims to foster dialogue between scholars, practitioners and activists concerned with the region from all disciplines and all approaches.
We seek expressions of interest from groups, departments and/or organisations throughout the United Kingdom or the Middle East and North Africa. The Conference Host is a group or organisation which partners with BRISMES in conference delivery. The Host plays an important role in the identification of the conference theme and keynote speakers, and works together with BRISMES in relation to planning, the programme committee, registration, administration, conference spaces and venue(s), accommodation, catering and reception options, AV, Wi-Fi access, exhibitors/publishers, and sponsorships.
Individuals, organisations or consortia who may be interested in serving as Conference Host should submit a letter outlining an expression of interest, to include the following information:
- a list of the members of your hosting group
- your connections to BRISMES and the field of Middle Eastern studies
- a description of any prior experiences you have had with hosting conferences and the role(s) members of the hosting group have played
- your preference (if any) on the year – 2023 or 2024
- proposed conference theme and keynote speakers
- thoughts on venue options including cost estimates that could accommodate up to 360 delegates and 80 panels over 3 days and why these would be good spaces for holding the conference, including proposals for ensuring accessibility and inclusiveness (for all genders, abilities, nationalities, etc.). BRISMES is open to a variety of venue spaces, but the preference is to hold the conference on university campuses where possible.
- an assessment of the potential for additional institutional support (if available)
The deadline to submit expressions of interest is 7 March 2022, midnight UK time, and submissions should be sent to John Chalcraft (BRISMES Secretary) and Nadeen Dakkak (Conference Coordinator) via the BRISMES administrator, Amy Brickhill, at email@example.com.
Short-listed applications will be contacted before the end of April 2022 with site visits expected in summer 2022.